This month's Trivia consists of two parts; First, identify the photographs, Second answer the questions.
This months focus is on the early days of Bulawayo.
How many of the answers do you know?
- What was the "poodle" lion?
- What was the date the BSAC captured Bulawayo in 1893?
- What words are the Matabele reported to have used after their defeat of The Shangani Patrol?
- Who was the American Scout who survived the Shangani Patrol?
- Who was the first woman member and deputy mayor of Bulawayo council?
- Where exactly was the Rudd Concession signed (we need the specific name)
- When was the first expedition to Northern Rhodesia. Name some of the participants.
- When was the Bulawayo Golf Club first formed?
- When was the first rugby cup match in Bulawayo, name the teams and the score ?
Do you know the words to "Onward Chartered Soldiers" (First published 1894, sung to the tune of Onward Christian Soldiers)
The winners of this months Trivia will get a copy of our DVD Land of Legend.
And the answers are ......
"Onwards Chartered Soldiers" - sung to the tune of "Onward Christian Soldiers":
Onward Chartered Soldiers, on to heathen lands,
Prayer books in your pockets, rifles in your hands.
Take the florious tidings where trade can be done,
Spread the peaceful gospel --- with a Maxim gun.
Tell the wretched natives, sinful are their hearts,
Turn their heathen temples into spirit marts.
And if to your teaching they will not succumb,
Give them another sermon with the Maxim gun...
Tell them they are pagans in black error sunk;
Make of them good Christians - that is, make then drunk.
And if on the Bible they still dare to frown
You must do your duty; take and shoot them down
When the Ten Commandments they quite understand,
You their Chief must hocus, and annex their land;
And if they misguided call you to account,
Give them another sermon --- with a Maxim from the Mount.
And the winner is ......
Dave Sloman in Johannesburg.